Cool architectural transformation, plus studio
The Federation weatherboard that is so much part of East Fremantle’s texture still presents its classic face to the street, but inside is the kind of intelligent architectural transformation that is rarely achieved. Beyond the original rooms with gleaming Oregon timber underfoot, the 21st century addition is extraordinary: a long open-plan space framed by glass, where you feel you are living in the gardens. Nestled below is self-contained studio accommodation, with more garden spaces through the curved wall beyond. This is an amazing house: you have to come inside to explore and experience the atmosphere.
Lush walled gardens out front lead to the bullnose verandah, and into the central hallway. Two original bedrooms feature double-hung sash windows, built-in storage, those beautiful Oregon floors, and striking curved timber ceiling fans hinting at the contemporary style to come. The bathroom is fabulous, with long suspended stone vanity, freestanding bath, and polished concrete floors in the frameless glass rainshower. There’s dual access to the bathroom from the master bedroom and from the original living room of the cottage. There, the ornate fireplace has been retained, contrasting with the minimalist feel of the integrated cabinetry (with desk) and floating shelving.
Framed in black steel, the grand glass door announces the shift to the new: a striking rectangle of polished concrete floors, angled ceiling, and walls of full-height steel-framed glass and louvres to the north and west. Off this space is the stone-topped laundry, with great storage and additional toilet. The long white galley kitchen is all quality and simplicity, with Siemens appliances. A sleek gas log fire warms the space, cabinetry is built-in for the lounging/entertainment zone, and sound is integrated. Beyond the dining area, the northern wall stacks open, and the concrete floor extends outside, continuing to timber and galvanised iron decking under an angled outdoor roof for entertaining. Another series of decks cascades down to the east, with a pizza oven for alfresco feasts.
The natural landscaping is a fantastic setting for the self-contained, air-conditioned studio accommodation, with bathroom, kitchenette, living zone, and louvred windows. Then, through a door in a curved wall with ivy tumbling over, the garden ‘rooms’ continue with productive plantings, pond, veggie beds, chook run, olives, citrus, water tank and more. Out front, there’s off street parking, and an additional paved space for utility area, camper trailer or tinnie.
Traditional Federation cottage meets refined industrial style with a natural feel in an enchanting native garden environment – and it all works like a dream. This is a great neighbourhood: friendly, very near the river, George St restaurants and shopping around the corner and excellent local schools nearby. Don’t miss this one.
For further details please contact Exclusive Selling Agent Stefanie Dobro from White House Property Partners on 0409 229 115.
3 bedrooms 2.5 bathrooms 1 car
• Classic weatherboard with amazing extension
• Historic cottage restored, high ceilings, Oregon floors
• Original living area with fireplace, built-in cabinetry
• Vast new open-plan space, polished concrete, floor-to-ceiling glass
• Great kitchen, Siemens cooktop, wall oven, grill
• Northern wall stacks open to outdoor decks
• Fabulous big bathroom: concrete, timber, suspended vanity, freestanding bath
• Independent studio accommodation with bathroom, kitchenette
• Cascading native gardens with surprising series of garden ‘rooms’
• Stone -topped laundry with excellent storage and additional toilet
• Handy side paved area for camper trailer, utility space
• Reverse cycle air-conditioning plus ceiling fans
• Desirable community location near the river, George Street, East Freo Primary
• Tenanted at $750 per week until 7/4/2021
$50,000 deposit due on the fall of the hammer
30/60/90 days for settlement at buyer’s nomination